Sunday, 28 December 2014

Review: Dark Blood by Christine Feehan

Genre/Themes: Paranoraml Romance - Vampires

Series: Carpathians (Book 26)

Publication Date: 2nd September 2014

Format: ebook

Blurb:

At long last you are truly back with us…

Zev Hunter was an elite warrior, a dark-blood dealer of death to rogue Lycans who preyed on mankind. He was a loner, never given to personal attachments, and damned fierce at his job. But Zev begins to question his past and his purpose when he awakens in the darkness of the sacred cave of warriors—and is soothed back to consciousness by the sensuously familiar voice of one woman, the woman who has haunted his fantasies for centuries. She was Branislava, member of the Dragonseeker clan…

Mother Earth called the ancients to witness your rebirth…

For this half-mage, half-Carpathian temptress, the ritual of awakening Zev to the council of warriors was the only way to save him. Locked away for his own protection, the time has now come for his rebirth, for his blood to stir with that of the ancient warriors before him. He has been assured by Branislava that their fates are entwined, that their spirits are woven together for eternity and that his new purpose in life is beyond imagining.

Now, with a blood-sworn vow of honor, mercy and endurance, and under the influence of a siren as bewitching as Branislava, Zev begins to wonder what his purpose is, what it means for the future of the Carpathians and what it is about his rebirth that he has to fear…


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

My Thoughts:

Dark Blood marks the end of a trilogy within Christine Feehan's awesome Dark series.
I guess it could be read as a standalone if you haven't read Dark Lycan and Dark Wolf (books 1 & 2 within the trilogy) but are familiar with the world, but in all honesty I don't think I would as it is so entwined with them that a lot of the enjoyment would be leached out of it.

Things I liked/loved about this book include:

- The relationship dynamic between Zeb and Branka. They truly treat each other as equals. There is love, laughter, respect and trust. Macho chest-beating is kept to a minimum despite the fact that Zeb is all alpha-male.

- There's lots of check-ins and updates with past Carpathian couples leading to some truly gorgeous moments that made me smile.

- I thought that the introduction of a Uber-Carpathian bloodline was a bit twee but I liked the direction the story went in (and Zeb) well enough to not care too much about how everything was put away a little bit too neat and tidy.

- I LOVED how, unlike the last 5/6 kindle releases, the story didn't end 80% of the way through the kindle file with the other 20% being drivel and appendices. With Dark Blood the story went up and over the 90% mark! Score!

What I didn't like / what annoyed me:

- The developments with the Mages. I don't want to say too much and spoil the story for people but... Seriously?!! Can't we have a new bad guy? Not a re-hash of a previous bad guy? It came across to me as unoriginal and completely lazy despite the effort that must have went into re-writing "history".

All in all, this series still oozes the soul, sex and magic that utterly enchanted me over 10 years ago. In fact, this is a series that is getting better with age and I'm counting down to the next one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template By Designer Blogs